Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Eng Ann Teng, Sibu
Eng Ann Teng Tua Pek Kong Temple, Sibu was found more than a century ago, around the year 1870. In the 1871 Sarawak Gazette, the temple was recorded as a small wooden Chinese temple.
The temple was then rebuilt into a typical Taoist Chinese Architecture in 1897. Most of the critical building materials were imported from China, including the statue of the host deity, Lord Tua Pek Kong. The details of the contributors & expenditure of the 1897 rebuilding was curved in two pieces of stones, which are still in the temple.
Like many of the histories of Tua Pek Kong temples in Sarawak, the Eng Ang Teng Tua Pek Kong temple had gone through major fire disaster, and was unharmed; the March 8, 1928 fire was a tragedy, as most of Sibu business shoplots were destroyed after the incident.
Towards the end of the Japanese occupation, the temple was severely destroyed due to Allied Forces’ air strikes on Sibu town; the statue of Tua Pek Kong, again, was unharmed.
In 1957, the temple was replaced with concrete structure and the then Governor of Sarawak, Sir Anthony Abell, who was the guest of honor, officially declared open of the historical place of worship. It was a grand occasion for the people of Sibu at that time, and especially to the devotees as the grand occasion was also attended by British Royal dignitaries & other important government officers.
With the support of the state Government and devotees, the 7-Storey Pagoda at the back of temple was constructed in 1987.
Eng Ann Teng Sibu and the Pagoda since then has becomes a prime & growing tourist attraction in Sibu, and also a land mark of this Christian town of Central Sarawak, where majority of Chinese are Christians.
Places of Worship & Devotion In Sarawak